Seven kids, aged 12 to 17, injured in shooting in downtown Indianapolis: police

Share this

At least 7 kids, aged 12 to 17, injured in shooting in Indiana: police

INDIANAPOLIS (WXIN) — Police said seven young people between the ages of 12 and 17 were injured in a shooting in downtown Indianapolis Saturday night.

Officers patrolling the area heard gunshots near the Circle Centre Mall shortly after 11:30 p.m., according to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

Chance Perdomo, star of ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ and ‘Gen V,’ dies at 27

The officers located a large group of juveniles, and among them, six had injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. One of the victims was transported to an area hospital in critical condition but was later upgraded to stable condition. The other five victims were stable as well, police said.

A seventh victim with a gunshot wound arrived separately at a hospital and was also in stable condition, she said.

“Once again, we have a situation in which young people are resolving conflict with firearms, and it has to stop,” Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Deputy Chief Tanya Terry said during a press briefing. “Conflict should not lead to somebody pulling out a gun and trying to resolve it. The consequences are eternal.”

A police report listed four boys and three girls as victims in the shooting. 

Deja Studdard, who works for Nexstar’s WXIN, said she was dining with friends at the nearby Sugar Factory restaurant when “shots rang out,” prompting everyone to get on the floor.

“Everyone starts to hide under chairs, behind tables. It’s a madhouse,” Studdard recalled. “There were people running, and seemingly, away from something.”

Police looking for Chiefs’ Rashee Rice after ‘major’ crash in Dallas: reports

Officers reported three victims fled for safety inside the restaurant, and Studdard said employees were actively attempting to keep people out.

Twenty-five IMPD officers had been on patrol throughout the evening prior to the shooting, breaking up fights, investigating vandalism and searching for weapons.

“This Easter Sunday, I am heartbroken for the young people whose lives have been impacted by what occurred last night,” Mayor Joe Hogsett said in a statement. “Let me be clear: a 12-year-old child has no business being out late at night anywhere without parental or adult supervision.”

No suspect has been identified, but investigators said they believe

Read the full article here

Get Your 'Right To Freedom' News Direct To Your Inbox.

>